Friday, September 2, 2011

Self Caricature Sketch

I decided it was time to do a caricature of myself. This is somewhat worse than doing self portraits (and it's been many years since I did one of those) because a caricature requires the exaggeration of features, even the less-flattering ones.

Most of us are used to seeing ourselves in the mirror but mirrors don't give an accurate image. Not only are we in reverse, we are also, in my experience, slimmer, taller and less wrinkly.

This was an impromptu decision and there was no combing of hair, no shaving and no makeup - just a few reference photos snapped in the spring sun. So here I am in my natural, wrinkled, uncombed state - and exaggerated.

digital caricature of andy dolphin

This is just a quick digital sketch. I might work on it some more in the future.

3 comments:

  1. It is really good - I have never tried charicature before and might give it a go. Hmmm, I might like to try exaggerating the good features, lol.

    PS: loved being transported back into my childhood with the Rolf Harris video clip (of course, I was extremely young then, cough)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rolina. Of course, you'll have to take my word for it that this looks anything like me :)

    If you're interested in caricature, Tom Richmond has a new book for pre-order. I just ordered a copy and await it with much anticipation.

    ReplyDelete